School Wide Programs:
Leader In Me Seven Habits
Conga Kids Grade- (5th Grade Students Only)
Outdoor Science School (Grade 6 Students Only)
7th/8th Grade Electives
- Developing Band (Year 1)– This class is for students that have never played an instrument before. Students will learn the basics of performing on an instrument of their choice, how to read music, and how to work together in a musical ensemble. Instruments available for students to choose are flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, trombone, baritone, and percussion. Developing band performs at least 3 concerts throughout the year. Anyone is welcome to join!
- Intermediate Band (Year 2)– This class is for students that played an instrument in 6th grade beginning band. Students will continue to develop their instrument skills, dive deeper into music theory, and perform more complex and challenging music. Intermediate band performs at least 3 concerts throughout the year. Intermediate Band students may audition to be in Advanced Band at the start of the school year.
- Advanced Band (Year 3)– This class is mostly for 8th grade students who started beginning band in 6th grade. However, 7th grade students who did exceptionally well in 6th grade band can audition at the start of the school year to join Advanced Band. Students continue to develop skills on their instruments and learn more challenging music. Advanced band performs multiple times throughout the school year, including 3 school concerts, the District Band Festival, various assemblies, and at the Forum Music Festival with a trip to Knott’s Berry Farm near the end of the school year.
- Choir– This class is open to all students that enjoy singing and want to improve their singing voice. Students will learn about their vocal instrument, how to sing in an ensemble, and the foundations of healthy singing for all styles of vocal music. Students will learn how to sing in harmony (two or more notes at the same time,) and they will continue to learn music theory (how to read music) from where they left off in 6th grade general music. Choir sings a wide variety of genres from classical music to pop music. This group performs multiple times throughout the school year, including 3 school concerts, the Arroyo Choir Festival, various assemblies, and at the Forum Music Festival with a trip to Knott’s Berry Farm near the end of the school year. This class is open to all 7th and 8th grade students that enjoy singing.
- Dance– This class will teach the fundamentals of dance and explore different styles of dancing. Students will learn proper dance technique and improve their internal sense of rhythm while developing their physical balance, coordination, flexibility, and style. Students will experience multiple forms of dance such as hip hop, ballet, jazz, modern and lyrical, and folk, as well as yoga to improve flexibility and posture. This class will satisfy the PE requirement. No experience is necessary: all are welcome!
- AVID– This class is designed to provide students with the skills needed to be successful in college. In this class students will build strategies for success in academics such as note-taking, organization and communication skills. Students will be supported bi weekly by college students during tutorials in small groups. In addition, guest speakers and field trips will help students build an understanding of the pathway to college.
- Yearbook– Students will be introduced to the various aspects of yearbook production (photography techniques with DSLR camera, photo editing, page design, basic graphic design, and create and produce yearbook).
- Drama– In this class students will be introduced to the basic concepts of theatre arts. Students will use various creative drama techniques to build confidence, stimulate imagination, reinforce their skills through individual and group presentations, performances, and writing. Aside from acquiring acting skills, students will also work on set and costume design. All students will work collaboratively with their peers to complete our class creative projects. This class is available for all experience levels with a passion for drama!
- Industrial Tech– In this class students will receive project-based instruction in woodworking, tools and safety, fundamentals of measuring, design and construction.